Home-made Cleaning Products for Earth Day

Thursday, April 18, 2013


Did you know it's Earth Day next Monday 22nd April?  Yes, it is.  It's a day when zillions of people from around the world sit up and pay attention to what's happening on this planet and do their best to protect it.  It's a big day.  It's an important day. It's a day created for us and our home, and I think each of us should do one thing, no matter how itty-bitty, to honour, appreciate and respect this day - now in its 43rd year (like someone else I know) - and help continue the fight for a clean environment.
 
I have decided to make up a batch of home-made cleaning products.  I've always been pretty careful about what I use around our home, particularly since having kids, and I've never been a fan of highly toxic cleaning products (although bleach has become a bit of a family tradition and although I loathe the stuff, I'm yet to find anything else that removes mould like it does ... I know, shoot me now) but this month rather than buying products, I decided to make them myself using supplies I had on hand.  I made up a General Household cleaner - for all surfaces and areas, a potion to clean the Fridge and one for cleaning Stainless Steel.  I repurposed two empty "Method" bottles (another personal fave but my local Woollies doesn't stock it so it's hard for me to get) and an empty Linen Spray bottle from "Adairs".  I couldn't resist adding some fun vinyl labels using my Silhouette machine.

Here's what I did:


General Household
(I got this recipe from a Home Beautiful magazine years ago and have been using it ever since.  It is one of my favourite all-purpose cleaners).
 
1 litre water
200ml vinegar
40ml detergent
40ml eucalyptus oil
2 dessertspoons of washing soda
 
Instructions:  mix it all together and pop it in a spray bottle
 
 
Fridge
Mix 1 tablespoon vinegar in 500ml of water and pop in a spray bottle.  Add in some vanilla essence/extract/essential oil for a lovely fresh, sweet smell.  Use it on the inside and outside of your fridge.


Stainless Steel
Same as for "Fridge", minus the vanilla.
 
There are so many recipes for home-made cleaning products online and in blog-land so whatever it is you want to clean you will be able to find an eco-friendly, non-toxic alternative.  I actually cleaned my oven (oh lord, what a horrible job that is) last weekend with a paste of bi-carbonate soda and water and it not only worked, it wasn't toxic, I didn't have to wear a mask, I wasn't worried about the kids inhaling the fumes and I had bi-carb in my pantry so it cost me nothing.  And just so that you are under no illusions, my oven was beyond dirty, it was filthy and embarrassing and totally worthy of a full toxic job but to my absolute amazement (and my husbands), the bi-carb worked.  Happy, happy, happy dance.
 
So, that's one of my itty-bitty Earth Day contributions.  If you get a moment, check out the Earth Day page - it's full of great information and resources and don't forget, if you get up to anything special I'd love to hear about it! 
 
*** Happy Earth Day ***
 
PS: If you don't follow along with me on Facebook, here's a couple of pics of my kids getting in on some Earth Day activities - choosing some herbs & plants and then planting them.  Love these pics.! x
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Your blog about our earth day is nice.continue your blog with these type of useful. information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I will! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a amazing blog, i love these pics and recipes. Thanks

    Laundry products

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog - not quite sure.. .via Pinterest a few clicks ago! Im also in Perth - enjoy your holiday north.. it's rainy and cold here. Did you not know you can buy method online and also they have a big stand at Kitchen Warehouse in Ossy Park.
    Thanks for the washi tape on the pinbpard idea. Ill be doing it tomorrow after putting off painting the frame on the one I have.
    Off to make another cuppa so I continue reading your blog x.

    ReplyDelete